Gevrey-Chambertin

Côte de Nuits

Jean-Claude Boisset

Jean-Claude Boisset was radically transformed with the arrival in 2002 of viniculteur Grégory...

Patriat, one of the best viticulturalists/winemakers of his generation in Burgundy. Grégory had spent the previous three years working in the vineyards at Domaine Leroy and still spends a great deal of his time in the vineyards, paying his growers by the hectare in order to ensure low yields. He also prefers to work with organic growers, as he finds they produce better fruit. Unlike other Burgundian négociants, Grégory specialises in making wines from 'lieu-dits' or tiny plots of vines, something which accounts for the limited production of most of his wines.

View producer page

Vineyards

Gevrey-Chambertin is one of the largest and most respected vineyards of the Côte de Nuits with a vineyard area of 330 hectares, situated between 240-280 metres above sea level. Soils are limestone, with a good proportion of clay marl. This gives the resulting wines concentration and roundness. Grapes for this wine were grown on old vines using careful vine management techniques which involved pruning, debudding and cluster thinning to restrict yields, and therefore concentrate the vines' reserves into fewer grapes, as well as shoot and leaf positioning to ensure that the grapes were fully exposed to the sun.

Vintage Information

2015 experienced a warm summer with little rainfall, which brought the harvest forward. The grapes were harvested at full ripeness, resulting in wines with more richness and lower acidity levels than the wines of 2014.

Vinification

70% of the grapes were destemmed but not crushed with the remaining 30% left as whole bunches and transferred by gravity into tanks. Maceration lasted a total of 23 days including one week of cold maceration at 12°C. Fermentation was carried out using indigenous yeasts only, with infrequent punching down of the cap. The wine was aged in cask for 16 months, using a proportion of 40% new French oak barrels that had been toasted at low temperatures for a long time to impart a very delicate touch of oak to the wine. It was bottled after a very light filtration in February 2017.

Tasting Notes

This Pinot Noir is bright ruby red in colour, with purple hints. It has an attractive nose, with perfumes of cherries, blackberries, liquorice and a slight smokiness. Ripe, silky tannins provide an elegant backbone and balance the smooth fruit character on the palate. A powerful lively wine with a long and elegant finish.

Vintage Information

Vintage 2015
Grape varieties 100% Pinot Noir
Region Côte de Nuits, Burgundy
Winemaker Grégory Patriat
Alcohol (ABV) 12.5%
Acidity 6.53g/l
Residual Sugar 0.1g/l
Wine pH 3.3