Pignoletto Sparkling Brut Modena


Villa Cialdini

Villa Cialdini is the main house of the Azienda Agricola Castelvetro, an estate...

southeast of Modena that has been owned by the Chiarli family since 1860. Cousins Anselmo and Mauro Chiarli, who manage the family company, started the Castelvetro project in 2002. Their idea - ambitious today, let alone in 2002 - was to build a state of the art winery to produce top quality Lambrusco. They spent a year renovating the winery and then, using the property’s old vineyards, began production in 2003. The estate is comprised of 70 hectares, of which 52 are planted to vine on the undulating alluvial deposits typical of the Padana plain.

View producer page


The Pignoletto vines are cultivated on the hills between Modena and Bologna, at an altitude between 100 and 250 metres above sea level, in optimum conditions to produce a white wine with a delicate nose and good structure. The gradual slopes are formed of clay and calcareous soil with a slightly alkaline pH. The clones are obtained from a mass selection of the company’s ancient vineyards; these are traceable back to the Grechetto Gentile varietal which was introduced in the area around AD 1400. The vines are planted at a density of 4,000 vines/ha and are Guyot trained.

Vintage Information

The 2017 vintage was characterised by a cold winter with abundant rainfall. At the end of April, there was a period of frost. Summer was hot, with very little rainfall. Frost and drought eventually meant that this was a relatively challenging vintage in terms of quantity, with an average 30% decrease in yield. Nevertheless, the grapes that were harvested were of great quality.


After harvest, 20% the grapes were pressed and underwent maceration. The other 80% was softly whole bunch pressed at a controlled temperature. The must was cold settled and alcoholic fermentation took place in stainless steel vats at low temperatures, with the addition of selected varietal yeasts. The second fermentation occurred in pressurised steel vats (cuve close) at 16-18°C for about 90 days. After this, the wine was stabilised at -3°C for 10 days. Isobaric cold bottling of the sparkling wine was obtained through the Charmat Method.

Tasting Notes

This wine is straw yellow in colour with green highlights. There are distinctive aromas of pear, apple and light floral notes, which are enhanced by its fine and persistent bubbles. It has bright acidity on the palate with a characteristically refreshing finish.

Vintage Information

Vintage 2017
Grape varieties 100% Pignoletto/Grechetto Gentile
Region Modena, Emilia-Romagna
Winemaker Franco De Biasio
Alcohol (ABV) 12%
Acidity 10g/l
Residual Sugar 12g/l
Wine pH 3.2